ECRI Institute has launched a new online education program, Risk Management Basics, which is designed to help health care professionals learn how to handle key challenges across the continuum of care. The courses are based on the guidance ECRI Institute has been providing for 30-plus years in its Healthcare Risk Control System.
“It’s not just risk managers who need risk education,” says Paul Anderson, director of risk management publications at ECRI Institute. “ECRI Institute’s Risk Management Basics courses can help staff at every level of an organization develop common skills. Staff can support a strong safety culture by having a basic understanding of how risks are identified and managed, and how important each team member’s role is in speaking up when they notice risks.”
Covering all care settings, the 10-course online program provides an understanding of the essential elements of risk management:
- “Getting Started with Risk Management”
- “The First Step in Risk Management: Risk Identification”
- “Establishing a Culture of Safety”
- “Setting Priorities: Evaluating and Analyzing Risk”
- “Stopping Problems before They Start: Risk Prevention and Management”
- “Getting Started with Patient Safety”
- “Risk Mapping and Maintaining a Risk and Patient Safety Program”
- “Everyone’s a Risk Manager: Get Staff Involved in Patient Safety and Risk”
- “Make Risk Management Part of Daily Operations”
- “The Last Piece: Measuring and Monitoring Risk”
The courses are interactive, mixing text, audio, matching games, and more to help learners of all types gain this basic foundation. Learners will be able to establish and execute complete risk management programs in their organizations, with a goal of better mitigating risks, improving patient outcomes, and reducing financial risk.