A patient using a defibrillator died at a southern-based medical center after the device erupted in fire and burned his body.

Staff members were using the defibrillator in an attempt to revive the patient, Bobby Ray Stark, who had coded.

“Then they started the paddles, and it just blew up, everything,” his wife, Kathy Stark, told WKRN. “He got burned in the throat, the face, the head, the chest and his hands.”

Mr. Stark was taken to the hospital’s burn unit for treatment, where he died Nov. 24.

Read the full article at Becker’s Hospital Review.