The Facility Guidelines Institute (FGI) has published the 2010 edition of its Guidelines for Design and Construction of Health Care Facilities, which is used by states and federal agencies to regulate health care facility design and construction in the United States.
Highlights of the 2010 standards include:
- The incorporation of the 2008 edition of ANSI/ASHRAE/ASHE Standard 170: Ventilation of Health Care Facilities;
- Design information for technology and medical communication rooms;
- Updated design for protective environment rooms;
- Design information for accommodating bariatric patients in the ED; and;
- A new appendix on performing patient safety risk assessments.
The 2010 edition is published in three formats—a bound book, a loose-leaf version for placement in a three-ring binder, and a searchable CD.
Instructions for ordering the guidelines and the revision process is available on the FGI Web site.