The American Society for Health Care Engineering (ASHE) of the American Hospital Association is recognizing the contributions its members have made to improve the health care physical environment. ASHE presented several awards during its 56th Annual Conference and Technical Exhibition last week in Baltimore.
The Crystal Eagle Leadership Award, considered ASHE’s “lifetime achievement” award, was presented to York Chan, SASHE, CHFM, CHC. Presently, he is the vice president of facilities integration for Advocate Aurora Health, a system of 28 acute care hospitals in Illinois and Wisconsin. He served as a board member of the American Society for Health Care Engineering (ASHE) from 2008 through 2012.
Moreover, York is a certified healthcare facilities manager, as well as a certified healthcare constructor. Currently, York is faculty for ASHE teaching various classes in “healthcare construction,” “managing accreditation” and “healthcare maintenance fundamentals.” York previously served as faculty for Joint Commission Resources and taught the “Environment of Care Base Camp” and “Exploring the Life Safety Chapter” programs.
The ASHE President’s Award, which is presented at the discretion of the sitting ASHE president to an individual who goes above and beyond to optimize the healthcare physical environment, was presented to Linda L. Dickey, RN, MPH, CPHQ, CIC, FAPIC, senior director of epidemiology and infection prevention at UCI Health in Orange, Calif. Dickey’s background includes direct nursing experience in adult critical care and more than 20 years of experience in epidemiology and infection prevention, with most recent experience in quality and patient safety.
Also at the Annual Conference, ASHE recognized members who attained senior (SASHE) and fellow (FASHE) status within ASHE. The SASHE designation is bestowed upon those who have been ASHE members in good standing for at least five years and have supported ASHE in terms of education and leadership. The following members are new SASHE recipients:
- Joshua Brackett, SASHE, CHFM, Baptist Health System, Little Rock, Ark.
- Danielle Gathje, SASHE, CHFM, Fairview Health Services, St. Paul, Minn.
- Jason W. Lea, SASHE, CPE, CHFM, North Mississippi Medical Center—Tupelo, Tupelo, Miss.
- Sandra A. McCurdy, SASHE, CHFM, Sodexo Health Care, Weymouth, Mass.
The FASHE designation is bestowed upon those who have been ASHE members in good standing for at least seven years and have contributed to the field through education, leadership and written contributions. The following members are new FASHE recipients:
- Edward M. Browne, FASHE, CHC, CHFM, Cambridge Health Alliance, Arlington, Mass.
- Garold M. Hamilton, FASHE, PE, LEED-AP, WSP, Arlington, Va.
- Renée R. Jacobs, FASHE, CHFM, CHC, Johnson Controls Inc., Lenexa, Kan.
ASHE’s Regional Leader Award recognizes people for their contributions to the fields of healthcare engineering and facility management; planning, design, and construction; safety; clinical and biomedical engineering; and technical management.
- Region 1: Brenda Ann Michaud, CHFM, Cayuga Medical Center at Ithaca in N.Y.
- Region 2: Marvin W. Smith, PE, Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, Penn.
- Region 3: Scott J. Mathis, CHC, CHFM, Berkeley Medical Center, Martinsburg, W. Va.
- Region 4: Kenneth W. Ozment, CHFM, CHC, Floyd Medical Center, Rome, Ga.
- Region 5: Scott Burcroff, CHFM, Parkview Health, Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Region 6: Michael Neely, CHFM, Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee,
- Region 7: Troy Ledet, Terrebonne General Medical Center, Houma, La.
- Region 8: Terry E. Banister, CHFM, Barnes St. Peters and Progress West, St. Peters, Mo.
- Region 9: Jacob Daniel Linhart, CHFM, CHC, Carondelet St. Joseph’s Hospital, Tucson, Ariz.
- Region 10: Anthony W. Moiso, CHFM, Pali Momi Medical Center, Aiea, Hawaii
For more information on ASHE awards, visit www.ashe.org/about/awards.