University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor became the setting for a three-alarm fire on Tuesday, October 12, after a blaze broke out on the third floor—a non-patient level.
Fire officials say an HVAC unit the size of an SUV had a mechanical failure in an area where sprinklers did not reach…Patients and staff had to evacuated strategically, with many patients moved to separate wings in what was called a “horizontal evacuation.”
There are no injuries of any firefighters reported and Ann Arbor Fire Chief Mike Kennedy said that given a fire this size, things went as smoothly as possible.
“We are doing air monitoring to check carbon monoxide levels in some of the upper levels.” he said. “Given the complexity of the hospital, that smoke really traveled. So we’re going to be here a while evacuating the smoke.”
Read the full article on Fox 2 Detroit.