The American Society for Health Care Engineering (ASHE) of the American Hospital Association is celebrating the outstanding contributions its members have made to improve the healthcare physical environment. ASHE presented several awards during its 58th Annual Conference and Technical Exhibition, which took place from August 8-11 in Nashville, Tenn.
The Crystal Eagle Leadership Award, considered ASHE’s lifetime achievement award, was presented to Timothy Eugene Adams, FASHE, CHFM, CHC. The Crystal Eagle Leadership Award, considered ASHE’s lifetime achievement award, was presented to Timothy Eugene Adams, FASHE, CHFM, CHC, an ASHE member since 1990. Presently, he is employed by Indiana University Health as program director of system environment of care and life safety, developing and directing a systematic program to promote best practices for all healthcare facilities throughout the health system.
Adams served as the director of leadership development for ASHE from 2013-2019 and held numerous other positions within the society since joining the team in 2005 after 30 years working in healthcare technical services and clinical engineering. Adams is a certified healthcare facilities manager, a certified healthcare constructor, a certified life safety specialist, and a Fellow status member with ASHE (FASHE).
He is a past-president and a long-term board member of the Indiana Society for Healthcare Engineering, a 15-year member of the National Fire Protection Association 72 Technical Committee, and a member of the national development team for the Hospital Incident Command System (HICS).
“Adams’ devotion to preparing and mentoring the next generation of healthcare facilities professionals is unwavering and unparalleled,” ASHE officials said in a statement. “His passion for education and connection, unconditional support of others, and steady commitment to improving our field are key reasons why he was selected as the 2021 Crystal Eagle Leadership Award recipient.”
The ASHE President’s Award, which is presented at the discretion of the sitting ASHE president to an individual who goes above and beyond to optimize the healthcare physical environment, was presented to Sean M. Goings, CEM, CHSP, SASHE, president of DAC, Inc. in Houston. Goings has spent much of his over 20-year career working for global solution providers that serve healthcare, such as Siemens and Schneider Electric, and he continues to deliver efficient solutions in the built environment.
Goings is a senior status member with ASHE (SASHE), a certified energy manager, and a certified healthcare safety professional. He has also been a featured conference speaker for numerous organizations including ASHE and several affiliated chapters. Moreover, he has served on the board of the Texas Association of Healthcare Facilities Management (TAHFM) for more than a decade. Finally, Goings is a past-president of the Houston Area Association of Hospital Engineering and served as an ASHE Associate Member Advisory Board Representative from 2016-2020.
ASHE President Antonio Suarez, MBA, CHFM, FASHE, says: “I have had the privilege to serve on both the TAHFM Board and ASHE Advisory Board with Sean and have personally witnessed his unique insights as they related to our young professionals’ and business partners’ perspectives…because of his contributions and service to our profession, it gives me great joy to present [him] with this year’s President’s Award.” He continues to serve on several national task forces and committees for the American Hospital Association and ASHE.
Also at the Annual Conference, ASHE recognized members who attained senior (SASHE) status this year and members who have fellow (FASHE) status within ASHE.
The SASHE designation is bestowed on those who have been ASHE members in good standing for at least five years and have supported ASHE in terms of education and leadership. The following members are new SASHE recipients:
- Lindsey Brackett, CHC, CHFM, SASHE, Legacy FM, LLC, Little Rock, Ark,
- Joseph G. Buri, CHFM, SASHE, UNC Health Southeastern, Lumberton, N.C.
- Mark H. Dease, CHFM, SASHE, Prisma Health, Greenville, S.C.
- Robert J. Heidelbaugh, SASHE, WellSpan Health, York, Penn.
- Frank D. Rudilosso, PE, M.Eng, CHSP, SASHE, New York-Presbyterian Hospital, New York City
- Clayton Smith, CHFM, SASHE, Children’s Health System of Texas, Dallas
- Mark J. Thuringer, CHFM, CHC, SASHE, St. Croix Regional Medical Center, Wis.,
ASHE’s Regional Leader Award recognizes people for their contributions to the fields of healthcare engineering and facility management; planning, design, and construction; safety; clinical and biomedical engineering; and technical management.
- Region 1: Charles Brown, Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode Island, Providence
- Region 2: Joyce Malone, Broadmead Senior Living, Cockeysville, Md.
- Region 3: Jerry L. Thompson, PE, CHE, Duke Health, Durham, N.C.
- Region 4: Terry E. Bowen, PE, CPE, CHFM, Tift Regional Health System, Tifton, Ga.
- Region 5: Jason Michael Hawk, St. Joseph Memorial Hospital, Murphysboro, Ill.
- Region 6: Robert J. Dubiel, CHFM, CHC, Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire, Wis.
- Region 7: Taylor Vaughn, MBA, CHFM, CLSS-HC, CHEPP, Children’s Health, Rockwall, Texas
- Region 8: Nic Riesenberg, CHFM, CHC, North Kansas City Hospital, Miss.
- Region 9: Anthony K. Crawford, CHFM, CHEM, Kaiser Permanente Vacaville Medical Center, Calif.
- Region 10: Clay Ciolek, CHFM, Providence Health & Services, Olympia, Wash.